Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Difference between Tama SuperStar Kit and Tama SuperStar HyperDrive Kit
grajee
#1 Posted : 1/27/2011 10:08:49 PM
Groups: Newbie
All,

I will soon be getting the SuperStar/SuperStar HyperDrive kit. A friend (drummer) of mine suggested the SuperStar Hyperdrive kit. Note that this is for my Son who is 3yrs 4 months (and he is 3 ft 4 inches tall). He loves drumming and has a good ear for sound. He currently has the Groove Percussion Junior drumset which is a piece of garbage(
http://www.samash.com/p/...0Cymbals%20Red_-49951132)

I have a few questions and would appreciate if someone can answer my queries.

[1] How different is the Shell between a SuperStar and SuperStar HyperDrive
[2] if the SuperStar HyperDrive shell is superior in Make & Sound should I just get the shell and setup a rack (Gibraltar?) to mount the Rack Toms?
[3] Are the SuperStar Shells made in China? This drummer friend of mine was mentioning that the shells that are made in Taiwan sound better as opposed to the shells made in China and incidentally he was mentioning that the HyperDrive available in India is made in Taiwan.
[4] If the only difference between SuperStar and SuperStar HyperDrive is the way the rack toms are mounted then would I be better off in settling for SuperStar only?

Thanks,
grajee
AMSTERdAM
#2 Posted : 1/27/2011 10:41:43 PM
AMSTERdAM

Man
the main differences between the superstar and the superstar hyper drive, isn't really sound its more aesthetics. The superstar looks like a typical drum kit, as far as drum shape and hardware and so does the hyper drive , except the hyper drive kit's 10" x 8" and 12" x 9" rack toms, they're shallow, typical drums come longer than they are wide, but the hyper drive are wider than they are long, also on the hyper drive the rack tom are not mounted to the bass drum. The shells are the same they are both made from birch wood, which is a good quality for drums.

- hope this helps and don't forget to get your kid good hearing protection.
- AmSTerRdAM
airforceacop
#3 Posted : 1/28/2011 1:30:15 AM
Can I be your kid....that's one heck of a drum set for a 3 year old!
Tama SuperStar Custom Amber Fade, 18x22B 8,10,12,14ft1 14ft2
Alesis DM5 pro with Surge Cymbals
grajee
#5 Posted : 1/28/2011 11:38:54 AM
airforceacop, is your drum set made in China or in Taiwan? I did get him a VicFirth Noise Isolation Headphone sometime back. I already has the Sabian B8 Ride Cymbal, Paiste 5 Crash and the Paiste 3 Splash.
airforceacop
#6 Posted : 1/29/2011 2:10:46 PM
I'm not sure....I'm picking it up from the band hall tomorrow I'II take a look and let you know....now you got me wondering....
airforceacop
#7 Posted : 1/31/2011 7:25:38 AM
[img]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150348614135092&set=a.10150348613780092.600253.726110091[/img]

Here's my kit....I have no idea where it was made...I have a general idea that's is a 2004=2005 era.....that's all I know
grajee
#8 Posted : 1/31/2011 11:43:00 AM
Cant see the pic. Please email it to me at grajee@yahoo.com. Please

grajee
grajee
#4 Posted : 2/3/2011 5:07:45 PM
I decided to go in for a pretty good system since he has a very good ear for sound and sense of timing. When I bought him the Groove Percussion Kit I assembled it without knowing how to tune the drums. A friend of mine eventually told me how to tune. So, On that day I was tuning it, he was banging the toms and I told him to wait till I comlplete the floor tom. After I tuned he hit the floor tom and it gave a loud Dhud. His jaw dropped and said "oooh" after noticing the change in sound.

He already plays drums for "We will rock you". When he was 2yr 8months or so he played the single-stroke roll for "No More Sorrow" by Linkin Park. No one taught him to play the number and I also dont know how to play it. I fell off my chair when he played it. His favourite groups are Linkin Park, Evanesence, Papa Roach, Disturbed and Limp Bizkit.

He knows to play the pattern for "Youth of the Nation" and "Chop Suey" - with a bit of help from me. Many times, he watches somes of the songs on TV & Youtube and he says "Daddy, teach me how to play drums for it". Sometimes, he amazes me by coming up with his own patterns. About a year before, I bought him a Akai XR20 Drum Machine for him to fiddle around with sound. At one point in time for a particular pattern in the drum machine he used to fill in the Tom drum (from Sears that I got) for a particular beat - I dont know how to say it because I dont know music.

So I hope my investment in the SuperStar HyperDrive drum kit is not misplaced.

airforceacop wrote:
Can I be your kid....that's one heck of a drum set for a 3 year old!