Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Good Drum Heads for Metal?
harmlessgoat22
#1 Posted : 2/7/2009 7:43:49 PM
harmlessgoat22

Groups: Newbie
Well, I've had my B/B kit for about a year now, and I'm going to replace the heads, seeing as the current ones are pretty beat up. I've never bought new heads before, and I'm wondering what sort I should get. I'm only going to replace the batter heads on the toms (unless someone highly recommends replacing the resonant ones too), and I am looking for suggestions on what heads to get. I'm trying to get a full, low sound I'm trying to not spend tons of money, but I'd also like nice quality heads. I am a hard hitting player, so I want some that will also last quite well. I currently am using the Genera G2 heads that came with the kit.

Thanks in advanced!
Tama Starclassic Performer B/B in Dark Stardust Fade
Bass - 22" x 18", Toms - 10" x 8", 12" x 9", Floor - 16" x 14", Snare - 14" x 6.5"
Cymbals - Meinl Byzance 20" Dark ride, Zildjian K Custom medium thin 16" dark crash, used Zildjian ZBT 18" china
Hardware - 2007 Iron Cobra Rolling Glide twin pedal, Roadpro hihat, snare, and boom stands
ricohorton
#2 Posted : 2/7/2009 9:44:17 PM
ricohorton

Groups: Senior Member
Man
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
harmlessgoat22 wrote:
Well, I've had my B/B kit for about a year now, and I'm going to replace the heads, seeing as the current ones are pretty beat up. I've never bought new heads before, and I'm wondering what sort I should get. I'm only going to replace the batter heads on the toms (unless someone highly recommends replacing the resonant ones too), and I am looking for suggestions on what heads to get. I'm trying to get a full, low sound I'm trying to not spend tons of money, but I'd also like nice quality heads. I am a hard hitting player, so I want some that will also last quite well. I currently am using the Genera G2 heads that came with the kit.

Thanks in advanced!
then you probably want to replace with G2 coated heads for a warmer tone.
http://www.reverbnation.com/ricohorton

DW Collector's custom black finishply
18x24, 10x12, 16x16FT.
DW 8x14 chrome steel snare.
Axis A21 Laser double pedal
DW 7500HH, DW 7000 stands
Paiste Signature,2002,Rude cymbals

harmlessgoat22
#3 Posted : 2/8/2009 12:33:37 PM
harmlessgoat22

How much better will the drums sound with good heads? The ones that came on the drums were already a little beat up, and didn't sound that great to begin with. I've been trying to get a good sound from the toms for quite some time, and I can't get exactly what I want. I'm not very good at tuning, and I don't really know how to get the sound I'd like out of them. Overall, they sound much better than my old drums, and they sound good, but I still haven't gotten them to sound 2 grand good.
Bass - 22" x 18", Toms - 10" x 8", 12" x 9", Floor - 16" x 14", Snare - 14" x 6.5"
Cymbals - Meinl Byzance 20" Dark ride, Zildjian K Custom medium thin 16" dark crash, used Zildjian ZBT 18" china
Hardware - 2007 Iron Cobra Rolling Glide twin pedal, Roadpro hihat, snare, and boom stands
DrumsOnFire
#4 Posted : 2/8/2009 5:46:16 PM
DrumsOnFire

harmlessgoat22 wrote:
How much better will the drums sound with good heads? The ones that came on the drums were already a little beat up, and didn't sound that great to begin with. I've been trying to get a good sound from the toms for quite some time, and I can't get exactly what I want. I'm not very good at tuning, and I don't really know how to get the sound I'd like out of them. Overall, they sound much better than my old drums, and they sound good, but I still haven't gotten them to sound 2 grand good.

New heads can make a world of difference when it comes to sound. If I were you, I'd try coated emperors on the batter side and clear ambassadors on the resonants.
dr.dblkick
#5 Posted : 2/9/2009 2:28:05 AM
dr.dblkick

+1 to what drumsonfire said, those are great heads. I would go with coated emperor myself, partly for the sound and mostly to see that nice wood.
Starclassic Performer b/b (RSF)
PL62ZS(but not hyper-drive)
Tama & Yamaha hardware
Remo
Vic Firth sticks
Sabian AAX
Paiste 2002 & RUDE
Wuhan 22" china
stefan
#6 Posted : 2/9/2009 6:01:40 AM
stefan

Groups: Groupie
If the resos are in good shape there's no need to replace them yet.. The G2 is a great head for that fat, low sound. I'd say clear for rock and metal, but coated if you want it warmer, less in your face and a little jazzier.. If you want something easy to tune with a fat, low sound, go with Evans EC2 clear. Great heads, can be tuned extremely low without problems... I swtiched to Evans 2 years ago after playing Remo for 20+ years.. Really happy with them.. Especially the Emad kick head..
Piano Black Starclassic Maple: 24", 10", 12", 14", 16", 5,5x14" Blue Metallic Fade Superstar Custom Hyperdrive: 2x22", 10", 12", 14", 16", 5,5x14" All Istanbul Mehmet cymbals
harmlessgoat22
#7 Posted : 2/9/2009 9:19:48 AM
harmlessgoat22

I was actually thinking about the EC2's. They sounded like what I wanted on their website, but I wanted to see if anyone here mentioned them.
drtama
#8 Posted : 2/9/2009 3:31:00 PM
drtama

Man
I recently switched to coated remo pinstripes, gives a nice tone to my short attack toms. Highly recommended!
ON THE LOOK FOR WHITE TAMA ARTSTAR II TOMS!
dave61071
#9 Posted : 2/9/2009 3:48:17 PM
Evans G Plus Clear or Coated. That is what I am using and so far they are my favorite heads for the B/B toms.
Tama Starclassic B/B Diamond Dust with black nickel hardware, Sabian cymbals, DW pedals
harmlessgoat22
#10 Posted : 2/12/2009 5:37:00 PM
harmlessgoat22

Ok, I got the EC2's. They sound simply amazing. The sound is much fuller with them, in part, I'm guessing, because they can actually get a tone (so the batter and resonant have the same note, making a great sound), but still, MUCH better than my old ones. Having great sounding drums makes drumming tons more fun :D
dr.dblkick
#11 Posted : 2/18/2009 2:41:50 AM
dr.dblkick

I'm buying a performer kit pretty soon. The dude at the store says Evans heads might sound the best on them. Is that the case? I dont have anything against Evans but I've been using Remos for 9 years.
Tama & Yamaha hardware
Remo
Vic Firth sticks
Sabian AAX
Paiste 2002 & RUDE
Wuhan 22" china
Chaselle
#13 Posted : 2/18/2009 4:13:26 AM
Chaselle

When I read your first post about wanting a full, low tone my first thought was the EC2's. I think once you get used to them you'll really like them. I put them on a friend's DW's and now they sing.
Boom Chika Boom Chika
DrumsOnFire
#12 Posted : 2/18/2009 12:06:44 PM
DrumsOnFire

dr.dblkick wrote:
I'm buying a performer kit pretty soon. The dude at the store says Evans heads might sound the best on them. Is that the case? I dont have anything against Evans but I've been using Remos for 9 years.

I owned a big performer kit for a few years. What I can tell you is that I've tried pretty much every head currently made, and I keep coming back to the coated emperors and coated ambassadors (depending on how soon I feel like replacing them). Evans tom heads always had too much of a 'stick hitting plastic' sound to me, but their bass drums heads are some of the best, I really like the eq3. For the snare, reverse dot heads are always great (any manufacturer), I also like aquarian's hi-energy head. Attack heads are also pretty good sounding too. Anyway, those are just my suggestions, the key is to find the sound that you like. Also, you shouldn't be afraid to mix and match drumheads from different companies.
dr.dblkick
#14 Posted : 2/19/2009 12:30:21 AM
dr.dblkick

Thanks. I was thinking clear emperors because I've only used the coated. Right now I play coated ambassadors on my ayotte. I feel pinstripe and similar heads are overkill with the muffling. 2 ply heads are probably my best option, I play mostly metal. I would like coated ambassadors but they might be too ringy and ruin the shell's tone.
Tama & Yamaha hardware
Remo
Vic Firth sticks
Sabian AAX
Paiste 2002 & RUDE
Wuhan 22" china
DrumsOnFire
#15 Posted : 2/20/2009 2:23:53 AM
DrumsOnFire

dr.dblkick wrote:
Thanks. I was thinking clear emperors because I've only used the coated. Right now I play coated ambassadors on my ayotte. I feel pinstripe and similar heads are overkill with the muffling. 2 ply heads are probably my best option, I play mostly metal. I would like coated ambassadors but they might be too ringy and ruin the shell's tone.

Coated ambassadors are not near as ringy as you might think, and they have great tone. Derrick Roddy uses them (or at least used to use them) for a lot of his stuff, John Dolmayan also used coated ambassadors to record toxicity.
dr.dblkick
#16 Posted : 2/21/2009 2:03:07 AM
dr.dblkick

I meant to say clear ambassadors, my bad. I do like ambassadors though - the drum sings more.
Less of a thud like 2 ply heads. I guess my next question is coated or clear for these performers?
I should be getting my SC performer b/b kit very soon- like next week. I'm super stoked cuz its my first
time owning a Tama kit despite wanting one for 9 years. I'm content I waited, I love the new starcast and I'm sure I'll love the mixed shells!
Tama & Yamaha hardware
Remo
Vic Firth sticks
Sabian AAX
Paiste 2002 & RUDE
Wuhan 22" china
DrumsOnFire
#17 Posted : 2/21/2009 6:31:59 PM
DrumsOnFire

For the performers I would say clear emperors or coated ambassadors, although it all depends on the sound you like. Birch is a little more contained sounding than maple, so two ply coated heads sound a little too dead (to me at least).
dr.dblkick
#18 Posted : 2/23/2009 3:29:53 PM
dr.dblkick

Yeah, they sound great but for recording I would prefer to have a head which sings more. It sounds like resonance is cut down by the G2 heads, and results in it sounding fairly bright. Then again I was told Evans' G2s, and emperors/ambassadors will all sound twice as good as the stock heads.
Tama & Yamaha hardware
Remo
Vic Firth sticks
Sabian AAX
Paiste 2002 & RUDE
Wuhan 22" china
erniek
#19 Posted : 2/23/2009 7:27:31 PM
Man
Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I thought the G2s were the stock heads.?
Starclassic Birch Performer / Paiste / Vater.
tapævgi222
#20 Posted : 2/23/2009 9:38:41 PM
tapævgi222

Man
I play for a death metal band and have found coated ec2's on the toms give them a kind of damp, yet open sound
myspace.com/nojudgmentband
my kit