Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Starclassic Performer....where are they made?
Six-Ply
#1 Posted : 6/27/2009 12:06:14 PM
Groups: Newbie
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
In the new Tama catalog there are Made In Japan logos near certain Starclassic MAple and Bubinga sets.

Where are the current Performer B/B manufactured and were they ever produced in Japan?

Were Performer 100% Birch ever produced in Japan and if not which years and facilities?

This has probably been covered numerous times but I haven't seen any info on the subject.Doh
Tama/Keller/Zildjian/DrumWorkshop/Remo/Gibraltar
DrumsOnFire
#2 Posted : 6/29/2009 12:19:25 PM
DrumsOnFire

Groups: Senior Member
Six-Ply wrote:
In the new Tama catalog there are Made In Japan logos near certain Starclassic MAple and Bubinga sets.

Where are the current Performer B/B manufactured and were they ever produced in Japan?

Were Performer 100% Birch ever produced in Japan and if not which years and facilities?

This has probably been covered numerous times but I haven't seen any info on the subject.Doh

As far as I understand (don't flame me if I'm wrong), the current B/B sets are made in Japan, as were the 100% birch performers, and the starclassic birch. However, I think the original starclassic performer (with the mixed woods) was manufactured somewhere else.
Polymetrix1618
#3 Posted : 6/30/2009 8:57:33 AM
Polymetrix1618

Man
DrumsOnFire wrote:
Six-Ply wrote:

As far as I understand (don't flame me if I'm wrong), the current B/B sets are made in Japan, as were the 100% birch performers, and the starclassic birch. However, I think the original starclassic performer (with the mixed woods) was manufactured somewhere else.

Yup... All SC's are made in the Japan factory, Superstars in a Chinese factory built exclusivley for the line, and all other lines in Taiwan.
Who put the goat in there?!
Six-Ply
#4 Posted : 6/30/2009 11:17:13 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I was in GC the yesterday and I damn near tipped over a nice Diamond Dust Performer set off the shelf trying to read the badge.....Made In JApan.

What a relief!!

I never paid attention to that detail until a few days ago assuming all Starclassic kits were made in Japan, but when I saw the catalog in got me wondering.

I'm about 2 months away from a nice Performer Birch/Bubinga set.

The difficult part is finding the configuration in a finish that I want.
Polymetrix1618
#5 Posted : 6/30/2009 12:44:20 PM
Polymetrix1618

Man
Six-Ply wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I was in GC the yesterday and I damn near tipped over a nice Diamond Dust Performer set off the shelf trying to read the badge.....Made In JApan.

What a relief!!

I never paid attention to that detail until a few days ago assuming all Starclassic kits were made in Japan, but when I saw the catalog in got me wondering.

I'm about 2 months away from a nice Performer Birch/Bubinga set.

The difficult part is finding the configuration in a finish that I want.

It's always tough choosing colors and sizes. My rule of thumb for the size of a kit, if you have enough drums on your kit to split up into two drumsets you're almost there.
Who put the goat in there?!
#6 Posted : 8/18/2009 3:34:19 PM
Tama moderator may have to confirm, but I believe they are also being manufactured outside of Japan. I have 2 kits, one in cobalt blast glitter that says made in japan, one in crystal blue burst that does not say made in info on the badge at all...
YtseJam
#7 Posted : 8/20/2009 3:46:01 AM
YtseJam

Man
Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
B/B's have been made in China for some time now. I've seen badges that clearly say "made in china".
Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth,
truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
#8 Posted : 8/21/2009 10:42:13 PM
update: While the B/Bs are now made in China, badges do NOT, repeat DO NOT say made in china. the inner shell paper tag says "Handcrafted in China". I have 2 B/B kits, on ein Japan, one made in China--quality is the same, if anything my finish is nicer on the ones from China actually.

Six-Ply
#9 Posted : 9/14/2009 1:17:51 PM
planb wrote:
update: While the B/Bs are now made in China, badges do NOT, repeat DO NOT say made in china. the inner shell paper tag says "Handcrafted in China". I have 2 B/B kits, on ein Japan, one made in China--quality is the same, if anything my finish is nicer on the ones from China actually.

I had a gut feeling the only lines made in Japan were the Bubingas and Maples...it just makes sense with the pricing.

And it's possible that the finish is better on the B/B since I'm sure there are less regulations in China compared to Japan for VOC's.