Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

tama serial numbers
woody7p
#1 Posted : 1/31/2010 5:32:51 PM
Groups: Newbie
Hi, I am new to the forum .I looked for an answer in other threads but I couldn't find anything on Tama serial numbers.I have Five snares all 14" 5.5". Starclassic's cooper, and brass. the third is a bronze tama. I have no problem identifing these shell types. the last two are stainless and a brass shell tama snares with mighty hoops. I can't tell which one is brass or the stainless shell. Will the serial number help to determine the shell type? thanks for your help. woody7p
sandman
#2 Posted : 1/31/2010 6:35:58 PM
sandman

Groups: Groupie
Man
Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 30 post(s)
To get a date on Starclassic Drums, you take the first two digits of the serial number and subtract 10 which will give you the year your drum was produced. If the drum has a sticker inside, that's where you'll find the serial number. You won't be able to determine Month or Date of production, year only. Tama doesn't keep a record of serial numbers either. Serial numbers are attached to drums for the owners benefit in case of theft.
YtseJam
#3 Posted : 2/1/2010 1:16:50 AM
YtseJam

Groups: Senior Member
Man
Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
This works only for SCM, as far as I know.
Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth,
truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Drumwraith
#4 Posted : 3/1/2010 10:45:17 PM
Drumwraith

Man
I think it works for SC Bubingas too. I have an omnitune set and the numbers seem about right. But the SC performer birch serial #'s don't make a bit of sense. Anyone know how to decipher those numbers?
cloth
#5 Posted : 3/2/2010 4:25:19 AM
cloth

Man
Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Quote:
the last two are stainless and a brass shell tama snares with mighty hoops. I can't tell which one is brass or the stainless shell. Will the serial number help to determine the shell type?

Hi woody7p,

I don't think so. But maybe some photos could help. And maybe there are some details on both snares that differ in any kind? Point them out as accurate as possible. When did you purchase them, and were they new then?

Cloth
helpful forum threads:
- How To Post Pictures On The Forum
- Tama Starclassic ID Master Thread
- Tama Superstar Vintage ID
- Snare Drum Maintainance

Listen to my band's music on our mySpace site >> Schizophonic :o)

Tama Starclassic Maple 'Dark Cherry Fade' (2003) - 20"x16" BD; 10"x8", 12"x8" TT; 14"x14" FT.
Tama Superstar 'Piano Black' (1985) - 20"x16" BD; 12"x11" TT; 14"x14" FT.
Tama Starphonic Maple 'Satin Mappa Burl' (2012) SD 14"x6". +++ Tama Mastercraft Artwood 'Super Maple' (1979) SD 14"x5".
Zildjian 'A-Series' & 'K-Series' cymbals. +++ Istanbul 'Empire', 'Turk', 'Sultan', and 'Traditional'-series cymbals.
Remo drum heads. +++ Vater drum sticks. +++ AKG microphones.