Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
tama vs. dw
kyle777
#1 Posted : 2/4/2011 7:34:08 PM
Groups: Newbie
Man
ive been drumming for about a year and a half so im not very experienced with different brands of drums. obviousely since im on this forum, i use tama. many people have been telling me that dw drums are the way to go. i also read alot of things with people talking about dw like it is the best. for example, talking about the sound quality of many different drumsets in comparison to a dw. i know they say the "best" brand of drums is personal opinion, but i have not had the opportunity to play many different brands. what is so special about DWs, why are they so often viewed as "the best"??
jwallacet
#2 Posted : 2/4/2011 8:13:08 PM
jwallacet

Man
I've had the same dilemma as you have. I still come to that crossroads every once in a while. Obviously it is about personal preference, like you said. One way they could be considered "the best" is; American made, you can get a very custom drum set (custom finish, custom size maybe, and the SSC). But I'd say Tama has superior hardware and pedals then DW does. One thing I like a lot about Tama, is they are the only (as far as I know) drum company that makes Bubinga drums. I kind of wish I had a Tama Starclassic set and a DW Collectors set because I like both companies. Another big thing is the price range. I'm sure DW is very expensive, maybe just for custom kits. I'm sure there are people on here (the forum) that can give you some information.
Tama Imperialstar black(2004?):
12x9
13x10
16x16
22x18
22x18
14x5.5 Stainless Steel Snare
Tama Starphonic Aluminum
sticksndrums6469
#3 Posted : 2/4/2011 8:40:16 PM
sticksndrums6469

1st off this topic has been discuss atleast one other time on the b/b section and its a hilarious if u read it.
2nd I believe pearl has their own bubinga verison.
3rd this is my own personal opinion but I believe tama drums pwns dw drums. I LOVE how the sc b/bs and full bubinga drums sound. My church has a sc maple and its a beast. They even have a old school imperialstar kit and I love that kit to. I've played on my friend's dw kit b4 all tuned up and sounding good and what not but it doesn't even come close to how awesome the tama drums are. Im always telling him that, it annoys the crap outta him but I think he knows to but don't wna admit it =D their suspension systems are great all of their level drums are treated with love and I don't think ill ever buy another brand's set of drums. I can honestly say I love tama's drums =D
NMiller
#4 Posted : 2/5/2011 5:10:10 AM
NMiller

Man
Ok, i'll go ahead and throw my opinion out there and hopefully not get crucified for it. For the most part, as with almost anything else that goes along with being any kind of musician..... PERSONAL PREFERENCE! To each his own, and all that good stuff! The only way to know whats right... or "the best" for you is to get experience with different products and form your own opinions about what you like and dislike. This is a TAMA forum so naturally, most people on here are going to be bias towards TAMA products. I have played about every drum company out there, and they all have their respective ups and downs. Throughout everything though, all around from customer service to sound to quality, my top three kits are Tama, DW, and Yamaha, not in any particular order. I have played and still own Ludwigs, and had Slingerland, OC, Pearl, Ayotte, Premier, and Sonor. I've played on Mapex and DDRUM, and had a friend with a custom set of Maryland Drums, which was by far the best custom drums i've ever freakin heard, but they didnt last long(the company), although the guys went on ..think its Baltimore Drums or something now. ..anyways..

...DW has a few things going for it. The drums and craftsmanship are outstanding, as is the sound. The big deal of DW is that for the longest time it was a totally custom high line of drums. If you had the dime, they had the time, and size, finish, whatever you wanted...but having the DIME was the key...they are freakin expensive!! Then they came with their Pacific lines to break into the intermediate priced market, and now the cookie cutter Performance series...which are still a pretty penny. Because for the longest time only a select few could afford them, and some huge names had them, it was the "cool guy" thing to say you had DW. Downside is they only work with select woods so your limited there, but everything else was exactly what you wanted. I love my DW kit(studio only, too expensive), as far as maple goes, and in my OPINION, they have some of the best pedals. I prefer my 9000 series pedals over everything i've tried to date, but thats just me. Also, I've had a few snags with customer service. After they are done and have your dime... well its like calling Dell or HP for tech support, but I havent talked to their CS for years so could be better.

... Yamaha, don't really even know what to say here. Never seen a studio without a set of Yamaha's somewhere in it. Very well priced, and sound great for the price. I have a Black Sparkle Sunburst Maple Absolute that replaced an older Plum colored Absolute. Think Audio has the same set if I remember from one of his pics. These also just sounded phenominal, and the price tag allowed me to take them out of the house without having to hire drum security for the night... lol I also had a Dark Chestnut Stain and GC Exclusive Grey Stage Custom. These were back before they were all birch... Falkata/Mahogany/Birch shells if I remember correctly. I was never embarrassed to take these out to a small club for a cover gig, and personally thought they blew away the Pearl Exports which were in that price range. I used to use them primarily for the young'uns back when I was teaching here and there. Next to the Star Cast mounting system, I think the Yess mounts that Yamaha uses are next in line to the best...again IMO

... Then theres TAMA, then and now... well i was always told if you cant say anything nice.... just kidding. I've had a few Tama sets now and then... had a rockstar for a bit... when I began touring back in the early 90's, my first tour kit was a Birds Eye Maple Artstar II. I'm pretty sur eit was an Artstar II anyways, good while back..need to bust out the pics now.. lol Man that was a wickedly awesome kit. Wish I still had that one!! Hint Hint Tama Guys!! As with what I said before about DW though, the guys wanted me to have that monster DW emblem on center stage... so I retired the Artstars to keep the peace. My DW's of course became Birds Eye Maple in light of the awesomeness of my Tama's. And thus also began my lust for figured woods and laquer finishes... such eye candy. One thing that has always set Tama apart though, even though their drums are great, is their customer service. Tama is still to this day, one of the few companies I havent run into customer service issues with. I've recently run Matt through the paces to get ready for a somewhat custom Bubinga set, and communicating with these guys is still just as easy as its always been. With how horrible we seem to treat each other in this world nowadays, it's nice to know there are a few companies out there for their customers, and that means more to me personally than a name or logo. If TAMA had a full Custom Shop for us non-endorsed lowbies, I wouldn't ever look DW's way again... for drums anyways. I've also had my B/B set for a couple of years now, and for its distinct sound, its fantastic for the price range. I paid about the same for my B/B as I did for my Yamaha Maple Absolute, and its in the price range with the DW Performance stuff out now.. and I love it to death. There again sound wise you cant really compare a B/B to a Maple kit, 2 distinct sounds overall, but still outstanding. Thats another great thing about Tama is they constantly find new things to experiment with, and the outcome is usually fantasmic! Cant wait to get my new Bubinga's in, mic'd up, and start experimenting.

.. As for the rest, not gona write a book on what I dont like, and like about every drum out there.. and since I play the above 3 still, that will have to do for now.

... What one person says is "The Best" is always going to be personal opinion. There are alot of great drums out there, but for one reason or another you'll find that what turns your head isn't what turns someone elses. Although there are alot of Tama Fanatics on this forum, you'll notice many of us with numorous kits, not all Tama; and theres nothing wrong with that at all. Fads come and go, and usually at some point come back again... best thing to do is just be yourself and go find what you like, your opinion is the only one that matters in the end because after all is said and done, thats the one you have to live with. Keep rockin...loud and proud!!

... Hey SANDMAN, this in the running for longest post or you still got me?? lol g'night all

2007-08 Starclassic B/B Dark Stardust Fade:
7x8, 8x10, 9x12 toms 12x14, 14x16, 16x18 floor toms
18x22 kick, 14x20 maple gong
4x14 + 5 1/2x14 artwood custom, 6x14 Masai + Valkyrie Warlord snares
(just going to list the Tama snares so i'm not here all night..lol)
443 + 472 Octobans
LP Piccolo, high, and low jam blocks
Roland SPD-S Sampling Percussion Pad
Zildjian Cymbals:
14" A Custom Mastersound + 14" A Custom(on remote) hats
22" A Custom Ride (I use a 20" for smaller venues)
16" A Custom crash(x2) 16" + 17" A Custom Projection crashes
10" A Custom(x2) + 9" and 11" K Custom splashes
18" K Custom and 18" A Custom China's
Sabian Max Stax(Mid) <-- love this thing but just moved to where prog doesnt exist :(
DW: 9002 double-kick, 9500 and 9502 remote hat stands
Gibraltar V Rack

On order next month:
Quilted Bubinga Elite Deep Forest Burst...same config as above... Thank you Matthew and TAMA!!

Jake_H
#5 Posted : 2/5/2011 11:07:07 AM
What he said ^^

:-)
Tama Starclassic Maple, Blue sparkle, Brushed nickel hardware
12x08-RT
14x12-FT
16x14-FT
22x18-BD
Ludwig Black Beauty - 6.5x14
Tama Starclassic G-Maple UltraViolet sparkle - 6x14
Tama Starclassic Maple Royal Walnut and Gold Hardware (SFR's) -6.5x14
Zildjian Cymbals
Roadpro Hardware

www.roninmusicuk.com
jwallacet
#6 Posted : 2/5/2011 12:41:46 PM
jwallacet

Man
I never understood why there isn't good customer service. Great customer service in fact. Because really, companies are nothing without us. I don't mean to sound harsh or anything but it's the truth. And by us I mean the majority of customers. The people who are endorsed are way "over powered" by us "regular" people. When I say over powered, I mean population wise. You know what I'm saying?
12x9
13x10
16x16
22x18
22x18
Tama Starphonic Aluminum
audiotech
#7 Posted : 2/5/2011 7:51:03 PM
Man
Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 40 post(s)
CB_Photo
#8 Posted : 2/5/2011 10:58:49 PM
CB_Photo

Groups: Groupie
Was thanked: 536 time(s) in 430 post(s)
When looking at well-made drum kits, it comes down to just a few things:

Shell Manufacture
Hardware

Tama shells produce a sound that is unique. So do DW shells.
Tama provides die cast rims. DW offers them, but they are not standard. They prefer triple flanged hoops.
Tama has the best hardware available. It can put a drum or cymbal anywhere you want and will last for years. DW has innovative designs for cymbal stands and tom mounts. But after looking closely for a few months, I prefer the Tama tom mounts and cymbal stands.

The rest is simply eye candy, and if you don't practice that'll be all that matters. And it won't go too far.
jwallacet
#10 Posted : 2/5/2011 11:31:19 PM
jwallacet

Man
I must say that I love DW's finishes, and their hardware availability. But I love Tama's innovation. Like I said before, it would be cool to have a Tama kit and a DW kit. If I got a DW kit I'd get a Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan tribute kit. Either the Waking the Fallen kit, or the Black and White kit. Although a lot of people have a white shell and black hardware kit, I'd go with something more "original." Plus the Waking the Fallen kit is DW and the Black and White kit is PDP, so why not try to match it.

The only DW things I don't like (so far) is there brass snare. Maybe it's all brass snares that I don't like, I don't know. And I don't like how there 9000 series cymbal stands are so freakin' heavy.
12x9
13x10
16x16
22x18
22x18
Tama Starphonic Aluminum
audiotech
#9 Posted : 2/6/2011 12:20:11 AM
Man
CB_Photo wrote:
When looking at well-made drum kits, it comes down to just a few things:

Shell Manufacture
Hardware

Tama shells produce a sound that is unique. So do DW shells.
Tama provides die cast rims. DW offers them, but they are not standard. They prefer triple flanged hoops.
Tama has the best hardware available. It can put a drum or cymbal anywhere you want and will last for years. DW has innovative designs for cymbal stands and tom mounts. But after looking closely for a few months, I prefer the Tama tom mounts and cymbal stands.

The rest is simply eye candy, and if you don't practice that'll be all that matters. And it won't go too far.

It seems more people than not are under the assumption that DW makes one series of drums, the Collectors series in either maple or birch shells. They actually have two other series that are made in the United States and one of them, the Jazz series does come equipped from their factory with die cast hoops. Their other U.S. made line is the Classic series which has a mahogany/poplar shell with maple re-rings and comes with their new style triple flange hoops which is folded completely over at the very top of the hoop. This makes their triple flange hoops stronger but still retaining their original weight. DW's intermediate Performance series I believe is made in New Mexico and also has the triple flange hoops.

Dennis
jwallacet
#11 Posted : 2/6/2011 1:19:26 AM
jwallacet

Man
What I don't like about the new Performance series is the smaller lugs. I just think it looks a little "off." Especially with the tom mount system. But I'm sure they had to do that for pricing.
12x9
13x10
16x16
22x18
22x18
Tama Starphonic Aluminum
NMiller
#13 Posted : 2/6/2011 2:17:38 AM
NMiller

Man
Very true also AUDIO. People say triple flanged like its a bad thing...just depends on the thickness and quality of the hoops. I have no issues with my DW's at all. As I said in my previous book... its mostly eye of the beholder and what not. I do prefer the Star Cast mounting system and the YESS mounts on my Yamaha Absolutes over anything else i've ever had, but I am totally happy with all my kits from all 3 companys, each for their own respective reasons. :) If not I wouldnt have 2 other kits on order.
2007-08 Starclassic B/B Dark Stardust Fade:
7x8, 8x10, 9x12 toms 12x14, 14x16, 16x18 floor toms
18x22 kick, 14x20 maple gong
4x14 + 5 1/2x14 artwood custom, 6x14 Masai + Valkyrie Warlord snares
(just going to list the Tama snares so i'm not here all night..lol)
443 + 472 Octobans
LP Piccolo, high, and low jam blocks
Roland SPD-S Sampling Percussion Pad
Zildjian Cymbals:
14" A Custom Mastersound + 14" A Custom(on remote) hats
22" A Custom Ride (I use a 20" for smaller venues)
16" A Custom crash(x2) 16" + 17" A Custom Projection crashes
10" A Custom(x2) + 9" and 11" K Custom splashes
18" K Custom and 18" A Custom China's
Sabian Max Stax(Mid) <-- love this thing but just moved to where prog doesnt exist :(
DW: 9002 double-kick, 9500 and 9502 remote hat stands
Gibraltar V Rack

On order next month:
Quilted Bubinga Elite Deep Forest Burst...same config as above... Thank you Matthew and TAMA!!

audiotech
#12 Posted : 2/6/2011 2:45:01 AM
Man
jwallacet wrote:
What I don't like about the new Performance series is the smaller lugs. I just think it looks a little "off." Especially with the tom mount system. But I'm sure they had to do that for pricing.

I was playing the DW Performance kit today. When they're tuned correctly, as with any drum kit, they sound pretty good. I too really don't like the 75% size lugs on the kit, but when I talked to John Good last year, he said it was purely aesthetic to clearly set the Performance drums apart from their flag ship models. The drums may catch on, but I'm not as enthusiastic about them as I once was.

Dennis
MOUSE
#14 Posted : 2/6/2011 3:29:43 AM
MOUSE

Man
I'm with N Miller's comments on this. Really what are you comparing, and how can you compare. Perhaps if you have from each manufacturer identical sized drums, shell material/thickness, heads is going to give an idea? Then, no two drummers will sound the same on the same gear, will hear the drums differently, and will supply a host of differing opinions and attitudes depending on how well the manufacturer has sucked the punter into bias with glossy adds. Same goes for cymbals.

Bottom line: You should make decisions on any musical equipment for it's pro and con's and what suits your requirements by trying them out for yourself, if at all possible.

Hit me with music, there is no pain.

Tama Granstar kit, Tama PB 6 1/2" snare, Tama Superstar Gibraltar snare 8", Non Tama Chad Smith snare 5"

Variety Cymbals Sabian AAX, Meinl byzance/ MB10, Zildjian A /A Custom / K, Paiste soundformula /Twenty/ PST5

Sticks Vater Power 5A

Accesories Lug Locks/Tempo Ref, Pearl Powershifter pedals (which funnily enough are set just like my dearly departed flogged to almost death Camco), Evans E.Q pad / E.Q patch

Style of drummer classic rock/ top 40 covers
years playing in bands 30

Tama Drum Company

audiotech
#15 Posted : 2/6/2011 3:58:20 AM
Man
MOUSE, I really don't know who you are questioning. If it's me, I can answer your question.

Dennis
MOUSE
#16 Posted : 2/10/2011 12:48:27 AM
MOUSE

Man
Not at all audioteck, to Kyle777 and perhaps the persons he refers to as "they".

Everyones opinion is going to be different, hope Kyle gets something out of some great replies here from people with some experience.

End of day it's a personal taste thing, and a sensible buyer will research as Kyle 777 is and make decisions on information gathered ( try before you buy).Happy

Perhaps a "don't even look" at or "avoid this gear" post would be viable, but i am a poor muso and can't afford a law suite BooHoo
Hit me with music, there is no pain.

Tama Granstar kit, Tama PB 6 1/2" snare, Tama Superstar Gibraltar snare 8", Non Tama Chad Smith snare 5"

Variety Cymbals Sabian AAX, Meinl byzance/ MB10, Zildjian A /A Custom / K, Paiste soundformula /Twenty/ PST5

Sticks Vater Power 5A

Accesories Lug Locks/Tempo Ref, Pearl Powershifter pedals (which funnily enough are set just like my dearly departed flogged to almost death Camco), Evans E.Q pad / E.Q patch

Style of drummer classic rock/ top 40 covers
years playing in bands 30

Tama Drum Company

ricohorton
#17 Posted : 2/10/2011 12:06:26 PM
ricohorton

Groups: Senior Member
Man
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
simply i will say different strokes for different folks. Tama makes good quality high end drums and hardware at lower price tag. DW makes good quality high end drums though for a price and will do a custom array of finishes for made in USA. now with DW's Performance series set it is more reachable to get into DW drums for the budget minded drummer who normally steered away from DW due high price tags.
http://www.reverbnation.com/ricohorton

DW Collector's custom black finishply
18x24, 10x12, 16x16FT.
DW 8x14 chrome steel snare.
DWCPMDD2 Double pedal.
Axis A21 Laser double pedal
DW 7500HH, DW 7000 stands
Paiste Signature,2002,Rude cymbals

tamashane
#18 Posted : 2/20/2011 10:25:43 AM
tamashane

Man
Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I have often wondered the same things: which kit is better, Tama, DW, Pearl, Yamaha, etc. I have been playing the same Imperialstar kit for over 20 years as a hobby (non gigging). Even after sitting in the garage for over two years untouched, I pulled them out, polished the shells and hardware, put on new heads and wow! They still look and sound amazing. No shell warpage or anything. I am looking to buy a new kit in the near future and have been comparing and trying to get an honest answer from different people. It depends on who you talk to as to what answer you are going to get. Portnoy fans will swear by Tama, Peart fans of course are going to say DW and so on. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Peart fan, hence the reason I bought my Imps back in the '80's. But now I am a little older and hopefully wiser and will go with what sounds good to me. I have been doing my research on my own, and am leaning real hard to a Starclassic B/B. It seems to have everthing I am looking for as far as sound and construction. All in all, take the time to research on your own and look and listen to each manufacturer. Weigh the pros and cons and make an educated dicision and be proud to do it on your own. Don't let other opinions influence your dicission. Unless of course they are offering an endorsement! Good luck on finding a new kit.
If this set is rockin', I can't hear you knockin'!!
Drumming......It's what's for dinner!

1977 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina.
Tama Titan stands
Sabian XS20 and Avedis Zildjian cymbals
1971 Ludwig acrolite snare
Evans EC2 heads
Tama ST1365BN snare drum
tinker
#19 Posted : 2/20/2011 12:08:23 PM
Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 68 post(s)
when one finds his Idea of perfection he will NOT try to recreate this Idea with something else he has found it and that is It! I found that perfection in Tama drums. For me this saves alot of running around and looking, I have seen enough changes in innovation put forward by Tama in 30 plus years to be confident in staying with them for this amount of time. As far as DW is concern they do have some beautiful finishes that is for sure and there veneer selection is out standing, but if we are talking about a overall product than give me TAMA all day.
Red Fibrestar
#20 Posted : 2/23/2011 9:41:06 PM
Red Fibrestar

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 53 post(s)
I'll only give my opinion on Tama VS DW. Been playing and mess'in with drums since DW started pretty much. Now back then about `83 ,`84.... DW was a new name in USA made drums and I kind of liked their shells and sound. move forward to present day DW sound IMO is horriable. They are boxy sounding not warm and have no personality. They are made very well and have nice finishes that I will say.

Tama, makes more lines of drums then DW so I'll only comment on the SCM SC lines. The SC maples when they came out were different but I still think the ART II still sounded better. The SCM with Sound Focus sounded a bit better but I still wouldn't bite and held on to my older kits. The SC Bubingas came out and I have not heard a kit that has the round, punchy, clear and warm sound that these do. It's like the best of birch and maple.

I know that DW's are not worth the money and IMO the Tama Bubes are worth it plain and simple. If it weren't for the Bubingas I prolly would have gone to Pearl who do make a nice drum but nothing like the bubes. Oh and the Birch Bubes sound pretty good as well.
Custom Viper red Fibrestars 14x22 12x8 13x9 16x16 22"bass drum extender
Black met. SC Bubinga 18x24 6x6 8x7 10x8 12x10 15x14 16x15 20x14 gong drum 6 painted to match octobans
Natural matte Superstar 14x24 12x8 13x9 16x16 18x16 20x18 12x8 13x9 gong toms 22x14 20x14 gong drums 8 clear octobans

Lots of snares!!well.. not so many anymore!!