Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

a little Granstar history
Harwin
#1 Posted : 12/23/2008 1:14:18 PM
Groups: Newbie
The first Granstars in 1986 were standard with a PL106 Powerline metal snare. 6,5 x 14.
In 1989 there was an upgrade in the series, a painted version was available, the Custom.
Also with different depth sizes and even with single headed toms.
In the same year came the AW106 chrome over wood snare as standard snare with the
typical Granstar lugs and also a painted version, AW216, with so called freedomlugs.
If your Granstar is a 1986 type, it can not be a custom, or it must be painted by
a former owner?
If it's a real custom it's from '89, '90 or the first half of '91.
In the second half of '91 came the type 2 series with the long lugs and different
kind of brackets on toms and bass.
In the US the Granstars were, maybe, a few months earlier on the market.

jweiss
#2 Posted : 12/30/2008 12:52:57 PM
jweiss

Man
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
You are correct they aren't Granstars. Just been getting turned around by the catalogs and all the comments by others. So I did the smart thing, I looked at the badge, duh!!! I am the original owner so nothing was done to them, and they are definitely lacquered, with the paint on the inside as well.

They are 1986 (could be 1985, could be 1987) Crestars. If memory serves, the guy told me they were essentially the same as the Granstar Customs when I bought them as new. The did have the Powerline snare, although I use a metalworks now. What's weird is the Crestar catalogs on Tama.com show white snare, not the Powerline steel.
rmandelbaum
#3 Posted : 12/30/2008 12:59:02 PM
rmandelbaum

Groups: Senior Member
Man
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
From what I understand the Creststar and Granstar Custom are the exact same drums.

I remember when I ordered my Granstar Custom kit I could order any snare I wanted to. I was not limited to what came with the kit.
Vintage Superstars
DW Collectors
Roland TD-20
Misc. Snares
www.robertmdrums.com
jweiss
#4 Posted : 12/30/2008 1:25:41 PM
jweiss

Man
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
RM, just so you know, I'm kaosotis over at drumchat. I'm assuming you are the same person :) Just trying to get as much info on the kit as possible. The finishes aren't so hot (although I can continue to play them fine) and I'm weighing my options in terms of fixing them up, or just buying a new shell kit.
rmandelbaum
#5 Posted : 12/30/2008 2:01:05 PM
rmandelbaum

Groups: Senior Member
Man
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yep its me.
Vintage Superstars
DW Collectors
Roland TD-20
Misc. Snares
www.robertmdrums.com