Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Zoom Q2n
RLM
#1 Posted : 6/26/2017 4:43:58 PM

Groups: Member
Man
Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 41 post(s)
I just bought one of these. It was easy to set up... I think I've got the appropriate settings for what I'm planning to record. So as soon as I get a chance to try it out, I'll post here. Probably sometime in July. I'm playing with some really good jazz musicians on the south side of Atlanta and have a regular gig now on Wednesdays at The Cellar at The Firestone in Newnan, GA. This is the singer: http://www.tonibyrd.net She's great! And so is the keyboard player and anyone else he randomly brings in from week to week. LOL

Anyway, I should have some clips for you guys featuring my Starclassic Maples soon. And a review of the Zoom Q2n. (I've just got to get one of my friends or family who's coming to see me play to set it up on their table.) I mean if Weckl and Gadd recommend it, it's got to be good, right? :)

Here's a clip of Toni singing a Gladys Knight tune with another band. (Not the greatest quality video or audio, but you can definitely get a feel for how she sings.) She does everything from Ella Fitzgerald to Stevie Wonder, and does it all well! https://youtu.be/yOZaQoMLOoQ
2011 Starclassic Maples in Dark Mocha Burst
Starphonic Bubinga snare
SLP Classic Maple snare
Zildjian K, K Custom and A Custom cymbals

1980 Superstars in Super Mahogany
Bish
#2 Posted : 6/26/2017 8:23:15 PM
Bish

Man
Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 88 post(s)
I have a Q8 Zoom.

One little trick I learned from mine is it is very proximity conscious. It easily picks up sounds closer to the mic so if you are using the on board mic, try to keep that in mind when positioning the camera.

The other thing I found was when using the on board mics for recording, I can't set the levels up past 5 without the recordings being distorted. It's much more noticeable on playback through the camera, more so than if you copy and play the file on a computer with decent speakers.

Have fun and we look forward to seeing/hearing your recordings.
Bish

1 user thanked Bish for this useful post.
RLM on 6/26/2017(UTC)
RLM
#3 Posted : 6/26/2017 9:27:09 PM

Man
Originally Posted by: Bish Go to Quoted Post
I have a Q8 Zoom.

One little trick I learned from mine is it is very proximity conscious. It easily picks up sounds closer to the mic so if you are using the on board mic, try to keep that in mind when positioning the camera.

The other thing I found was when using the on board mics for recording, I can't set the levels up past 5 without the recordings being distorted. It's much more noticeable on playback through the camera, more so than if you copy and play the file on a computer with decent speakers.

Have fun and we look forward to seeing/hearing your recordings.

Thanks, Bish. Good tips! I'm planning to use the "concert" setting, which sets the gain to accommodate loud spikes. However, we are not very loud. The drums are un-mic'd. I think the ambient/crowd noise may be more of a problem than distortion. I was planning to set the camera up on one of the dining tables, but your post is making me rethink that. Maybe I'll see if I can get it on a table as close as possible to the stage to minimize crowd noise.
Starphonic Bubinga snare
SLP Classic Maple snare

Bish
#4 Posted : 6/27/2017 5:42:33 PM
Bish

Man
Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 88 post(s)
I was testing out my Q8 and my TAMAs at the same time last summer.

The camera was only 4-5 feet away from the kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOV8Dc0Om24
Bish

RLM
#5 Posted : 7/16/2017 3:10:48 AM

Man
Well, the Zoom Q2n is really good, and easy to use! Editing the clips using iMovie... not so much. Fortunately for me, "tech support" (my son) is moving back to my local area next week... so there is hope that I'll have more clips to share. In the meantime, this is all I managed to edit and upload to YouTube so far (even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then). Once I get better at editing, I'll try to find some clips that highlight my Starclassic Maples a little more. In the meantime, at least enjoy some tasty keyboard playing!

https://youtu.be/1ffV7CdKOSw

Oh and one more bonus clip I managed to get. This was my first outing with the Zoom Q2n and I didn't have great placement on the camera, resulting in too much crowd noise. But it's a good vocal performance by our very talented singer, Toni Byrd! The drums aren't mine... I'm subbing for the regular drummer on that gig playing his drums.

https://youtu.be/YECzUjevay8
Starphonic Bubinga snare
SLP Classic Maple snare