Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Accu-Strike Beater Head
philmets
#1 Posted : 8/31/2017 10:03:39 PM
philmets

Groups: Member
Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Hi all,

I wondered if anyone has had the opportunity to compare the latest speed cobra accu-strike beater head (butadiene rubber) to the older iron cobra black rubber beater head? I currently have the latter installed on my 1st generation speed cobra pedals and am considering upgrading. Hoping to get some feedback before I put my hand in my pocket!

Cheers,

Phil
Starclassic Maple, 1997 British Racing Green (10/12/14/16/22)
Artstar 2, 1992 Hammered Black DIY! (12/13/16/22)
Starclassic G Maple, 2006
Ludwig Acrolite, 1970's
Zildjian K & K Custom cymbals
doublepedal
#2 Posted : 9/1/2017 2:32:47 AM
doublepedal

Man
Was thanked: 514 time(s) in 402 post(s)
I the felt guy on the Speed Cobras.
I'd put the beater right through the head i know it...
Dont give the boy a rock when there's pebbles to throw....Happy
2012.- 9pc. Starclassic Performer B/B. (BNZ)
7x8,9x10,10x12,12x14,14x16,16x18" toms.
2-18x22" kicks (one virgin).
5.5 x14" matching snare
Speed Cobra single pedals & Road Pro hardware.
Sabian AAX Series: 14" Studio hats. 16,17,18,19" Raw Bell Xplosion crashes. 21" Stage ride. 20" Custom Vault china. 10,12" splashes.

2008.- 5pc. Imperialstar (PB).
12,13,16" toms.
18x22" kick.
5.5 x14" matching snare
Speed Cobra double pedal & Stagemaster hardware.
Zildjian ZHT Rock Series: 14" hats. 16,18" Fast crashes. 20" ride. 18" china. 8" splash.
1 user thanked doublepedal for this useful post.
philmets on 9/1/2017(UTC)
Starclassic_Scott
#3 Posted : 9/1/2017 11:24:10 AM
Starclassic_Scott

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Semi-related (but not actually addressing your question): I had tried using Tama's Rubber Beater on my Iron Cobra about 8-10 years ago. Used it for 2 gigs. Will never use another rubber beater again. Why?

What happened to me: In my (at the time) BIG 80's tribute band, I would tune my kick down fairly low on the batter side and medium on the reso with a moderate amount of dampening via a SuperKick II and a small piece of eggcrate foam that was wedged head-to-head to give me plenty of "bury the beater into the head" punch and it mic'ed-up VERY easily. Sounded pretty good acoustically too.

I wanted to try getting a little more attack from the beater (usually use the felt beater). I had tried using the wood beater, but that was TOO drastic... so for this gig (back-to-back Fri & Sat nights at same venue) I tried the Rubber beater that came with the pedal.

About 4-5 songs into the "Hair Metal" set, I thought I had broken my kick pedal. The base-plate just went down and never came back up. Finished the song we were doing by using the floor-tom for the kick drum pattern (almost nobody noticed). Turns-out... what was happening was the rubber beater was HEATING UP due to friction and sticking/wedging itself to the head.

Because there was enough slack in the batter head and the beater (technically) pushes in & down due to the pivot point and the "give" of the head... it would just keep getting stuck.

The second night (before I realized it was a friction/heat thing)... I washed the rubber beater and head thinking "something sticky" had gotten on them. Nope. mid-way through second set, it happened again... and THAT's when I noticed that the rubber was warm/hot to the touch.

So... that experience put the "fear of god" in me regarding rubber beaters from then-on.
:)
- - - No Signature Required - - -
1 user thanked Starclassic_Scott for this useful post.
RLM
#7 Posted : 9/1/2017 1:03:28 PM

Man
Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 43 post(s)
FWIW, I use the Vic Firth "VicKick" hard felt beater on my Speed Cobra pedal. Love it!
2011 Starclassic Maples in Dark Mocha Burst
Starphonic Bubinga snare
SLP Classic Maple snare
Zildjian K, K Custom and A Custom cymbals

1980 Superstars in Super Mahogany
1 user thanked RLM for this useful post.
philmets
#4 Posted : 9/1/2017 1:07:50 PM
philmets

Starclassic_Scott;284454 wrote:
Semi-related (but not actually addressing your question): I had tried using Tama's Rubber Beater on my Iron Cobra about 8-10 years ago. Used it for 2 gigs. Will never use another rubber beater again. Why?

What happened to me: In my (at the time) BIG 80's tribute band, I would tune my kick down fairly low on the batter side and medium on the reso with a moderate amount of dampening via a SuperKick II and a small piece of eggcrate foam that was wedged head-to-head to give me plenty of "bury the beater into the head" punch and it mic'ed-up VERY easily. Sounded pretty good acoustically too.

I wanted to try getting a little more attack from the beater (usually use the felt beater). I had tried using the wood beater, but that was TOO drastic... so for this gig (back-to-back Fri & Sat nights at same venue) I tried the Rubber beater that came with the pedal.

About 4-5 songs into the "Hair Metal" set, I thought I had broken my kick pedal. The base-plate just went down and never came back up. Finished the song we were doing by using the floor-tom for the kick drum pattern (almost nobody noticed). Turns-out... what was happening was the rubber beater was HEATING UP due to friction and sticking/wedging itself to the head.

Because there was enough slack in the batter head and the beater (technically) pushes in & down due to the pivot point and the "give" of the head... it would just keep getting stuck.

The second night (before I realized it was a friction/heat thing)... I washed the rubber beater and head thinking "something sticky" had gotten on them. Nope. mid-way through second set, it happened again... and THAT's when I noticed that the rubber was warm/hot to the touch.

So... that experience put the "fear of god" in me regarding rubber beaters from then-on.
:)

Wow, not heard of that before.
I use an Evans black nylon patch and haven't had any issues using the iron cobra rubber head. I switched to rubber from the original speed cobra felt head as the patch was chewing up the felt, gradually wore it right down to the plastic underneath. I do like the patch though, no issues with split heads in all the years I've been using one (10+).
Ludwig Acrolite, 1970's
Starclassic_Scott
#5 Posted : 9/1/2017 1:54:29 PM
Starclassic_Scott

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 37 post(s)
philmets;284456 wrote:
Wow, not heard of that before.

Yeah... seems like *nobody* else has seen this issue and it happened to me TWICE.
I can replicate it over and over too - (at least back THEN at rehearsals).

[shrug] I guess I am just an anomaly. :)
- - - No Signature Required - - -
CB_Photo
#6 Posted : 9/1/2017 5:45:19 PM
CB_Photo

Groups: Advanced Member
Was thanked: 1660 time(s) in 1268 post(s)
Starclassic_Scott;284454 wrote:
... what was happening was the rubber beater was HEATING UP due to friction and sticking/wedging itself to the head.

I've used a rubber beater for about ten years and love it. No problems whatsoever. Apparently you're too hot to handle.

https://youtu.be/dPuznSe7bmw Dance

I'm now trying a Vic Firth wood beater. It feels heavier, but for my last video, where I barely touched the surface of the kick (not burying the beater), it sounded great. https://youtu.be/cnplGN_NDgE (headphones required if you wanna hear me lightly tapping—heel down—my bubinga kick with no muffling, to minimize the sonic bleed to the other mics).
1 user thanked CB_Photo for this useful post.
philmets on 9/6/2017(UTC)
Halldor
#8 Posted : 9/17/2017 10:35:49 AM
Halldor

Was thanked: 205 time(s) in 88 post(s)
I had the same sticky experience back in the day when the IC rubber beater came out; used it on one gig and it was a nightmare. Have avoided rubber beaters ever since. The new Speed Cobra beater is silicone so it doesn´t stick. For me it´s still the IC felt beater all day long. It gives me a bigger sound than any other beater I´ve tried and I´m a sucker for new gimmicks and gear.
1 user thanked Halldor for this useful post.
philmets on 9/17/2017(UTC)
philmets
#9 Posted : 10/13/2017 1:51:59 AM
philmets

So I just took delivery of a pair of accu-strike beater heads for my double speed cobra. Very noticeable improvement in sound and feel over the iron cobra rubber heads, thanks to the softer compound. Much nicer than the original felt heads too, which have almost worn down to the plastic! Very happy with the upgrade.
As a side note, I also picked up a Vater vintage bomber beater for my smaller kit, which has a single pedal on the bass drum. Wanted a big fat warm sound for a spot of recording, and OMG did this thing deliver, highly recommended.
Ludwig Acrolite, 1970's