Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Speed Cobra lateral beater proximity
builthatch
#1 Posted : 2/3/2012 6:09:34 AM
Groups: Newbie
my 2006-ish spec Iron Cobras are so that you can position the beaters relatively close to each other next to the cam. the slave beater on my Iron Cobra setup doesn't have the black plastic cap (between the slave beater and the cam) that threads onto the center piece that encases the two bearings which the slave beater uses. it seems the later Iron Cobras and my new Speed Cobra have this thing which makes it so you can't move the slave beater closer to the cam.

i care about this because it is impossible for me to get equal sounding tones out of the beaters. if you mount the clamp centered on the drum's hoop (like at the lowest possible centered point), you'll have the main beater in the center of the head and the slave beater will be way over to the left of it. if you try to make the beaters equidistant from the center so they make similar tones, the pedal clamp would have to be mounted way over to the right making the whole thing raised up on the right side.

my Iron Cobras i would have the pedal clamp mounted somewhat center, the main beater hitting dead center, and the slave beater about a cam-width away to the left. they'd be super close and the tones would vary very little.

what does everyone else do with their new gen ICs or Speed Cobras to get equal tones from both beaters?
Grof Drobikus
#2 Posted : 2/3/2012 10:36:44 PM
Grof Drobikus

Man
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I did the same thing with mine Iron Cobras until I realized that this presses the bearings too much causing the pedal not to move freely. Try putting the slave beater into it's original position and see how much the beater moves and then move it to the right and see if it moves the same as in original position.
builthatch
#3 Posted : 2/3/2012 10:42:39 PM
Grof Drobikus;243705 wrote:
I did the same thing with mine Iron Cobras until I realized that this presses the bearings too much causing the pedal not to move freely. Try putting the slave beater into it's original position and see how much the beater moves and then move it to the right and see if it moves the same as in original position.

that's the problem, i can't get the beater to go any further to the right. it's basically right up against the black screw on thing right now...but it moves very freely since the black cap thing is inclusive of the piece that the beater hold clamps.

the space between the two beaters is out of bounds on this pedal vs. what's available on my ICs.
Grof Drobikus
#4 Posted : 2/3/2012 11:29:28 PM
Grof Drobikus

Man
builthatch;243706 wrote:

that's the problem, i can't get the beater to go any further to the right. it's basically right up against the black screw on thing right now...but it moves very freely since the black cap thing is inclusive of the piece that the beater hold clamps.

Maybe that's the reason Tama puts that black cap now. They don't want you to move your slave beater to the right and slowing the pedal that way.
builthatch
#5 Posted : 2/4/2012 12:26:45 AM
Grof Drobikus;243708 wrote:
builthatch;243706 wrote:

Maybe that's the reason Tama puts that black cap now. They don't want you to move your slave beater to the right and slowing the pedal that way.

ok, let's say that is the case...

how does one get an equal tone out of both beaters? the only solution would be like what i mentioned in the first post, that you could mount the entire pedal further to the right on the drum hoop and thus both beaters could be set equally distant from the center, but then the pedal would be raised up on the right side!

i re-read your original post and i recall distinctly that my IC pedal moves the same in both positions, either centered on the center section, or moved to the inner edge toward the cam sprocket. there was no difference in freedom of movement or playability...or durability, as it has been set up like this for over 5 years.

all i'm saying is...i didn't have this issue with my ICs and do have it now.
Grof Drobikus
#6 Posted : 2/4/2012 12:39:25 AM
Grof Drobikus

Man
builthatch;243710 wrote:

i re-read your original post and i recall distinctly that my IC pedal moves the same in both positions, either centered on the center section, or moved to the inner edge toward the cam sprocket.

Mine didn't. It was also set like that for 5 years (out of 6 which I owned it). I noticed this accidentally, after 5 years of playing it that way. When I move it to the right and if I tighten it just so much that the beater doesn't slip, the beater holder press the bearings causing the pedal to slow down a bit.

ricohorton
#7 Posted : 2/4/2012 1:35:58 PM
ricohorton

Groups: Senior Member
Man
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
what i always did with my cobras was move the main beater to the right of the cam separating the beaters more from each other.

http://www.reverbnation.com/ricohorton

DW Collector's custom black finishply
18x24, 10x12, 16x16FT.
DW 8x14 chrome steel snare.
DW MDD Double pedal. pre-ordered
Axis A21 Laser double pedal
DW 7500HH, DW 7000 stands
Paiste Signature,2002,Rude cymbals

builthatch
#8 Posted : 2/14/2012 4:23:07 AM
here's what i mean.

if i mount the clamp on the hoop (on the lowest point of the hoop) so the bottom plate of the pedal is flat on the floor, the main beater is perfectly placed in the middle. Yes, i could shift the center piece of the main beater over to the right to make the main beater equidistant from the center vs. the left beater. is that what everyone does, like Rico's setup?

before, with my old ICs, it wasn't a concern for me. i set the main beater to hit center of the drum, since i was originally was primarily using single bass. to help the slave beater sound very similar, it was able to move it very close to the sprocket. the tone from both beaters was pretty similar.

well, with the new one i can't do that. the slave beater is so far to the left that the tone between the two is a lot different. the only solution i see is removing the falam slam pads, moving the main beater so it is the same distance from the center as the slave beater, then putting new pads on the head. even if i did do that, i wish i could get the slave beater closer to the center.

speed cobra, note distance between sprocket and slave beater holder.

old iron cobra (slave pedal isn't attached) - see how close slave beater holder is to sprocket.

speed cobra clamp mounted center of the hoop (feet on pedals)

builthatch
#9 Posted : 2/16/2012 6:18:54 PM
well i checked last night - there is no way i could mount the beaters even remotely equidistant from the center of the head unless i put the clamp so it is riding way up the right side of the hoop. what gives here? it sounds terrible - the left beater sounds higher than the right and there is nothing i can do to adjust that. my iron cobras didn't have this problem. i like the features of this pedal but in practice it's not working for me due to the lack of adjustability vs. my older ICs.