Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Heads resting on rubber grommets
machinedrumkelly
#1 Posted : 4/26/2013 9:15:42 AM
Groups: Newbie
Just bought a new Silverstar and noticed new aftermarket rims rest on the rubber grommets on both rack toms before and after tightening lug nuts. Anyone else have this problem, or is mine a defect? I noticed the rims on the stock heads are much thinner than any other heads. Someone else mentioned they had the same problem on a Ddrum kit and had to cut the grommets in half in order to put other heads on em but I doubt Tama would allow something like that to pass? This is my 1st Tama but have only ever heard good things. hmmm how do you attach pics? Anyway pics are here if you would like to view what I am trying to say..http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/my-new-tama-ss-28242.html?p=533429#post533429

[img=http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/nhzoso/star3_zps9c12b259.jpeg]rim[/img]

[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/nhzoso/star5_zpsed884efc.jpeg[/img]

[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/nhzoso/star6_zps00f44db8.jpeg[/img]

[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/nhzoso/star_zps8dee777a.jpeg?t=1366934145[/img]
sandman
#2 Posted : 4/26/2013 2:42:28 PM
sandman

Groups: Groupie
Man
Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 31 post(s)
They must have photobucket links turned off here on the forum. Re-Edit your post and take the [img] tags off your images and just use the Hyperlinks so folks can get to your pix. Looks to me like the rubber isolation grommets are too tall. Need to cut them down a bit it looks like.
Warren Wright
#3 Posted : 4/27/2013 1:43:22 PM
Man
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
From reading about this "problem" on the DrumChat site and considering this is a "brand new drum kit"...the "Best" cure is for Tama to step up and correct the problems...Second best solution is take em back to GC and get the money back or buy something else... In my Honest Opinion.
I know you're all jealous of me 'cause I can hear the "Voices" and you cant - - - Mwaahahahaha~~~!!~
jweiss
#6 Posted : 4/27/2013 4:24:41 PM
jweiss

Man
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Warren Wright Go to Quoted Post
From reading about this "problem" on the DrumChat site and considering this is a "brand new drum kit"...the "Best" cure is for Tama to step up and correct the problems...Second best solution is take em back to GC and get the money back or buy something else... In my Honest Opinion.

He already returned them I believe. However it would be cool if a Tama rep would step up and help us to see if this an actual issue with the line, there was something setup wrong, or just QC issues.
davezedlee
#4 Posted : 4/28/2013 12:06:06 AM
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Warren Wright Go to Quoted Post

why is resting on an isolator a problem?

did he get kicked out of his band?
jweiss
#7 Posted : 4/28/2013 3:59:12 PM
jweiss

Man
I think the heads weren't seating properly (at least aftermarket heads) because the grommet was lifting it off the bearing edge.
audiotech
#8 Posted : 4/28/2013 4:21:29 PM
Man
Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 40 post(s)
It seems to me that if the head is resting on anything But the bearing edge, there are going to be definite tuning problems. It might be a defective head, God knows that the drums are not shipped with the best or even good quality heads, but any type of heads cannot be pushed away from the bearing edge of the drum when tuned.

Dennis
1 user thanked audiotech for this useful post.
machinedrumkelly on 5/1/2013(UTC)
jweiss
#9 Posted : 4/30/2013 1:45:04 AM
jweiss

Man
Originally Posted by: audiotech Go to Quoted Post
It seems to me that if the head is resting on anything But the bearing edge, there are going to be definite tuning problems. It might be a defective head, God knows that the drums are not shipped with the best or even good quality heads, but any type of heads cannot be pushed away from the bearing edge of the drum when tuned.

Dennis

If memory serves, the stock heads fit because they had a thinner depth hoop, it was Evans and Remo heads that didn't work right.
audiotech
#10 Posted : 4/30/2013 3:29:16 AM
Man
Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jweiss Go to Quoted Post

Dennis

If memory serves, the stock heads fit because they had a thinner depth hoop, it was Evans and Remo heads that didn't work right.

You're right. I was only wondering if Tama used their stock heads as a gauge for all other makes of heads. Knowing those fit they believed that all heads would also fit properly. I'm only guessing. Why would a drum manufacturer have so close a tolerance in this particular area?

Dennis
jweiss
#11 Posted : 4/30/2013 9:13:42 PM
jweiss

Man
Originally Posted by: jweiss Go to Quoted Post

Dennis

You're right. I was only wondering if Tama used their stock heads as a gauge for all other makes of heads. Knowing those fit they believed that all heads would also fit properly. I'm only guessing. Why would a drum manufacturer have so close a tolerance in this particular area?

Dennis

I definitely get what you are saying. I have no issues on my Superstars. Makes me want to head over to a local store and see it up close.
machinedrumkelly
#5 Posted : 5/1/2013 10:44:43 PM
[/quote]why is resting on an isolator a problem?

did he get kicked out of his band?
[/quote]

WOW Really? Hopefully your not a Tama rep..LOL

I ended up taking them back, I was not impressed with not being able to contact someone at Tama, and the gouges in all the drums were not comforting either. I am surprised no one else with a silver star has chimed in on this especially considering this is a tama silver star page?
davezedlee
#12 Posted : 5/2/2013 12:44:26 PM
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
That your first kit?

The "gouges" are how Tama avoids a "wrap bump" along the seam overlap, and i've not had any sonic/playing problems in 29 years with a drum hoop resting on a grommet

I guess no one else noticed these "problems" either, considering this is a SilverStar forum
Bill@Tama
#13 Posted : 5/2/2013 12:51:52 PM
Bill@Tama

Groups: Moderator, Administrator
Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Hey guys,

Thank you for bringing this up machinedrumkelly, and I'm sorry for any problems you have run into! I saw this thread earlier this week and started inquiring within about the grommets. I am still waiting on a response.

davezedlee is right about the "gouges", so I would not be as worried about that. Again, I'm sorry for any problems you had with your kit and I understand you had to return it for those problems. Either way, I will update this thread with my findings if this problem arises again.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!
-Bill
machinedrumkelly
#14 Posted : 5/2/2013 4:39:25 PM
Originally Posted by: Bill@Tama Go to Quoted Post
Hey guys,

Thank you for bringing this up machinedrumkelly, and I'm sorry for any problems you have run into! I saw this thread earlier this week and started inquiring within about the grommets. I am still waiting on a response.

davezedlee is right about the "gouges", so I would not be as worried about that. Again, I'm sorry for any problems you had with your kit and I understand you had to return it for those problems. Either way, I will update this thread with my findings if this problem arises again.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!
-Bill

Thank you Bill I appreciate you looking into it and look forward to your response. I did not think the gouges were a big deal because they were not on the bearing edge but they were very close and I have never seen them before on other kits. I am also glad to see that you did not say you agree about the heads sitting on grommets not being a problem Wall. BTW I am seriously considering a superstar hyper drive at the moment as well so the experience has not completely soured me on Tama.

PS: How do I post pics here? I tried link from photobucket but appraently that does not work.
TamaDudeNJ
#16 Posted : 5/5/2013 11:45:19 PM
TamaDudeNJ

Groups: Senior Member
Man
Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 286 post(s)
I posted this reply over on DrumChat, so why not here also.

Here are two pics of my SS mounts. It's clear they touch a little but not nearly as much as the ones from machinedrumkelly. I'm using coated G2's. First pic is my 10", second is the 12". I have never, and I mean NEVER had a problem tuning these up nor do I see any wrinkles in the heads after they've been on for a while.

John W. ("J-Dub")
My Bands:
www.facebook.com/sundaybrave
www.madelinesmithofficial.com

www.youtube.com/user/durangodude01nj

9pc Tama SCM Platinum Fade ( http://youtu.be/ACREas8q2hE )
6pc Tama SCM EFX Blue Silk (shells signed by Jason Bittner!)( http://youtu.be/LpLMtIyBm5U )
5pc Tama B/B White Silk ( http://youtu.be/uBYUs0ICvNY )
4pc Tama B/B Vintage Aqua Marine ( http://youtu.be/HCsUqHIdt34 )
7pc Tama SCP Birch Cherry veneer ( http://youtu.be/onQfQ48uzGE )
5pc Tama Silverstar Satin Cherry
5pc Tama Vintage Superstar Cherry Wine ( http://youtu.be/EYb2rZ90vpw )
Bill@Tama
#15 Posted : 5/6/2013 2:06:22 PM
Bill@Tama

Originally Posted by: machinedrumkelly Go to Quoted Post

PS: How do I post pics here? I tried link from photobucket but appraently that does not work.

Photobucket is a little weird with not allowing you to embed their images to other sites. If you use a different site(or find a more direct link to you image on Photobucket) you can use this guide here:
http://forum.tama.com/ya...-on-the-Tama-Forum.aspx

Otheriwse, you can just upload directly to the forum using the "Attach files to post" checkbox at the bottom of a post window. checking this box will bring you to an upload page AFTER you click the "POST" button. From there you can upload your images and then click "BACK" to go back to your post.

-Bill
Bill@Tama
#17 Posted : 5/8/2013 1:57:35 PM
Bill@Tama

An update for anyone running into this issue with their Silverstar mounts:

The factory did change the rubber grommets on these mounts, but some Silverstar drum sets may still have the older ones. If you have the older ones, please contact your dealer or distributor to get the updated ones. I didn't get any specifics on what is different, but I assume they are just smaller, as to not get in the way...

Hope this helps clear the air, and again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
-Bill
Drum_Punisher
#18 Posted : 5/14/2013 4:14:26 AM
Drum_Punisher

Man
Hi Bill,

I just bought a Tama Silverstar Jazz set tonight online and am expecting it to arrive at the end of May 2013. I am hoping that I have an updated rubber grommet. if I don't, is this a easy part to find?
1982 TAMA Swingstar 5pc 12, 13, 16, 22 14x5sn
1997 TAMA Starclassic 5pc 12, 13, 16, 22 14x4sn
2008 TAMA Superstar 5pc 10, 12, 14, 22, 14x6sn
2012 Alesis DM10 Studio Electronic kit
2013 TAMA Silverstar 4pc 12, 14, 18, 14x5sn
Bill@Tama
#19 Posted : 5/14/2013 2:14:41 PM
Bill@Tama

Originally Posted by: Drum_Punisher Go to Quoted Post
Hi Bill,

I just bought a Tama Silverstar Jazz set tonight online and am expecting it to arrive at the end of May 2013. I am hoping that I have an updated rubber grommet. if I don't, is this a easy part to find?

If it is a newer kit(and it looks to be if you are waiting for it to come in) you should definitely have the updated grommet. If not, you can PM me and let me know.

-Bill
Drum_Punisher
#20 Posted : 6/3/2013 5:42:38 AM
Drum_Punisher

Man
hey everyone, about the rubber grommet issue. I just recieved my Tama Silverstar and yes I had an issue with the rubber grommet with new heads. I was able to take them out and turn them upside down. very little contact unlike before and have zero tuning issues. This quick fix is working for me.
1982 TAMA Swingstar 5pc 12, 13, 16, 22 14x5sn
1997 TAMA Starclassic 5pc 12, 13, 16, 22 14x4sn
2008 TAMA Superstar 5pc 10, 12, 14, 22, 14x6sn
2012 Alesis DM10 Studio Electronic kit
2013 TAMA Silverstar 4pc 12, 14, 18, 14x5sn