Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Missed My Tama Octobans So I Made My Own
sandman
#1 Posted : 5/1/2013 1:41:22 PM
sandman

Groups: Groupie
Man
Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Like an idiot, I sold all my 8 Tama Octobans about 2 years ago to fund some other drum purchases. I decided I wanted some more Octos but wanted some in Maple so I built my own out of Keller Maple Shells. I built them to match a Red Sparkle Luddy kit so I outfitted my Octobans with Ludwig Mini-Classic Lugs, OEM Tama Octoban Clip Mounts, OEM Tama Octoban Hoops, and applied matching Ludwig Keystone Badges. I got some Keller 6 Ply Maple Shells in 6x12, 6x14, 6x16, and 6x18 and cut double 45 degree bearing edges. To protect the bottom of the shells, I added a piece of Textured Black PVC U-Channel Molding like they used to do in the 60's and 70's to protect the bottom of concert toms. They turned out nice and they sound warm and articulate. Here's a few pics.

aje_drum
#2 Posted : 5/1/2013 1:48:32 PM
aje_drum

Groups: Newbie
Was thanked: 234 time(s) in 201 post(s)
Man they look great! It's almost like something you could have imagine Ludwig would have made in the 60's. Is it a wrap or lacquer? If it was wrapped I would suppose that the channeling on the bottom might help make the wrap behave itself at the edge as well. How would you compare the sound to the regular black resin Tama ones?

Nice job there brother!!

I see the KTM450 there my friend. I used to own a 620SC which I dearly miss, even with it's left foot kick start. I think I'm gonna have to get myself another chook chaser again soon...
Artstar Natural Cordia on Starcasts - Wanting impossible to find 20x14 Gong Bass or equally unobtainable 20x18 FT
Starclassic Maple Marine Blue Fade with Brushed Nickel hardware - Looking for 10x7 and 12x7 no SFR shells or drums any or no hardware
Vintage Superstars Aquamarine - Wanting 20x14 Gong Bass (or Granstar Custom in Aqua, Super Maple or Piano Black) or 20x18 FT, 18x16 Gong FT (any finish)
My Tamas of yore...
Tama Snares - GR958 14x8 Superstar Gibraltar, AS658 14x8 Artstar Cordia, AW628 14x8 Solid Maple, SMS55 14x5½ Starclassic Maple, Custom 14x5 Powermetal Steel, PBZ340 14x4 Bronze, AM155-10 10x5½ Artwood Maple
Wanted Snares - Mastercraft Series RW258 14x8 Superstar Rosewood, BE658 14x8 Artstar BEM, CF758 14x8 Artstar Birch/Carbon Fiber, AW458 14x8 Superstar in Aquamarine
Identifying Your Vintage Superstars, Starclassic Series Identification Thread, Gibraltar and Rosewood Snare Drum Versions
Have near perfect Starclassic Chrome bass drum complete hardware wanting to swap for Brushed Nickel
Gold Starclassic hardware for sale! Lots of lugs VGC bass drum lugs & complete drum lots 8/10/12/14/16/18FT toms in fair to good condition, 2 bass drums one poor condition, one very poor. PM me!
1 user thanked aje_drum for this useful post.
sandman on 5/1/2013(UTC)
sandman
#3 Posted : 5/1/2013 3:18:33 PM
sandman

Groups: Groupie
Man
Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Thanks for the kind words, my brother. Sorry, forgot to include in the description that the Red Sparkle is indeed a wrap. You can never go wrong with classic Red Sparkle. I applied the wrap using Weldwood Contact Cement in the red can. The wrap and shells were purchased from Drum Supply House. As far as sound goes, Nothing in the world sounds as good as original Tama Octobans when it comes to projection due to their use of composite materials to make the shells. Maple Octos are warmer sounding, not quite as articulate as Tama. I am going to apply a few coats of clear lacquer to the interior of the shells to brighten them up a bit more which should help bring out a higher pitched fundamental note.

After I cut the dual 45 degree bearing edges, I carefully sanded and polished with 400 grit up to 2000 grit making the bearing edges smooth as a baby's bottom. Once the edges were smoothed out, I applied a coat of Mothers 100% Carnuba Wax followed up by a light application of Drum Dial's New Bearing Edge Treatment. It's basically like Chapstick for your bearing edges. Never used it before so this is a first. I built the Octobans to match my Ludwig Classic Maple Monster. Next I plan on building myself a 6x13 Maple Timbale in Red Sparkle.

Good eye, yep that's my 2005 KTM 450 EXC which I bought new in the Summer of '05. I just completed a nut and bolt restoration on her 9 months ago. She is my pride and joy. A pleasure to ride both in the woods and dual sport. KTM is the only brand for me. Easy to work on and reliable as the day as long.
sandman attached the following image(s):
sandman attached the following image(s): asset.jpg
1 user thanked sandman for this useful post.
aje_drum on 5/1/2013(UTC)