Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Cloudy Finish on my Omni-Tune Snare
brhythm
#1 Posted : 9/19/2015 1:44:20 PM

Groups: Member
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
First time post, long time Tama player.

I own a 5.5" Omni-Tune snare. I like it, and find it fits my sound in a wide variety of rooms, but I actually use it very infrequently. I prefer a 6.5" depth, and since I have a few snares in my arsenal, those shallower than 6.5" don't see much use.

Yesterday, though, I had a jazz gig in a room I don't play frequently. Not knowing which snare would sound best, but desiring something a little snappier response wise, I decided to take the bubinga. When I got to the gig, I noticed the finish on the snare had become all blotchy and cloudy. It almost appears the finish had separated from the wood. Here are my questions...

1) Any chance this is a known issue, and Tama is fixing it for owners? (I'm doubtful, but hopeful.)
2) If not covered under any kind of "recall," does anyone know if Tama refinishes their products? (I'm guessing they don't, since that's not their primary business and they're probably not set up for it.)
3) If I have to go about refinish the snare on my own, what's the top layer? Lacquer? Poly? Something else? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get that cloudy top layer off. I'm not a woodworker, but pretty good and drum repair, and would probably try it myself.

Thanks in advance.

PS, I sent Tama an email, but it's the weekend, so I thought I'd bring my questions here.
PPS, if there's a mod here, some feedback on the registration process... It could use some tweaking. I'd be happy to share some ideas/tell you my frustrations with the process.

fl.tom
#2 Posted : 9/19/2015 2:30:10 PM

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 26 post(s)
brhythm;272832 wrote:
First time post, long time Tama player.

I own a 5.5" Omni-Tune snare. I like it, and find it fits my sound in a wide variety of rooms, but I actually use it very infrequently. I prefer a 6.5" depth, and since I have a few snares in my arsenal, those shallower than 6.5" don't see much use.

Yesterday, though, I had a jazz gig in a room I don't play frequently. Not knowing which snare would sound best, but desiring something a little snappier response wise, I decided to take the bubinga. When I got to the gig, I noticed the finish on the snare had become all blotchy and cloudy. It almost appears the finish had separated from the wood. Here are my questions...

1) Any chance this is a known issue, and Tama is fixing it for owners? (I'm doubtful, but hopeful.)
2) If not covered under any kind of "recall," does anyone know if Tama refinishes their products? (I'm guessing they don't, since that's not their primary business and they're probably not set up for it.)
3) If I have to go about refinish the snare on my own, what's the top layer? Lacquer? Poly? Something else? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get that cloudy top layer off. I'm not a woodworker, but pretty good and drum repair, and would probably try it myself.

Thanks in advance.

PS, I sent Tama an email, but it's the weekend, so I thought I'd bring my questions here.
PPS, if there's a mod here, some feedback on the registration process... It could use some tweaking. I'd be happy to share some ideas/tell you my frustrations with the process.

I can't answer #1 (sorry, hopefully someone from Tama here or another member can), but I just gained some insight on #2 and #3 after having two pre-owned toms being damaged during shipment...

2) Tama doesn't provide refinishing services, but there are a number of drum shops that do and Tama commonly uses one out of Nashville, TN. If you have to go this route, feel free to PM me.

3) From those discussions I was told the clear coat was a Polyester Lacquer and not Nitrocellulose. Unfortunately, mine are dented so polishing/buffing aren't an option.

Hope this is somewhat helpful and good luck "clearing" up your problem. ;-)
1 user thanked fl.tom for this useful post.
brhythm on 9/19/2015(UTC)
brhythm
#3 Posted : 9/19/2015 2:47:23 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! Looks like a poly lacquer is pretty easily removed with a heat gun. Certainly looks like a do-able option for me.
brhythm
#5 Posted : 9/19/2015 2:57:48 PM

And just because I'm posting images, here are my Starclassic Performers, Amber Gold, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 20 kick.

1 user thanked brhythm for this useful post.
Dardrum on 9/19/2015(UTC)
CB_Photo
#6 Posted : 9/19/2015 3:20:02 PM
CB_Photo

Groups: Advanced Member
Was thanked: 1660 time(s) in 1268 post(s)
How was the drum stored?
What were the climate conditions it was stored in? Humidity, temperature, etc.
How often was it pulled out and used?
pontiyak
#7 Posted : 9/19/2015 4:10:54 PM
pontiyak

Groups: Senior Member
Man
Was thanked: 912 time(s) in 687 post(s)
brythum: Welcome to the forum.

I've restored quite a few Tama drums, and I've never seen or heard of anybody
using a heat gun to strip the lacquer finish off.
In my case I am usually restoring older vintage kits and I have to strip them to bare wood
and then re-stain and re-lacquer.
I find that I have to start with 40 grit sandpaper on a random orbital sander to break through
the lacquer layer. As soon as I hit the stain layer I change to 100 grit and then finish with 220.

It's hard to see the cloudiness in the pictures, but in any case, I get the feeling you are hoping to remove
just the lacquer finish without disturbing the stain finish.
I'm not sure if you can do that with a heat gun ? In fact I can't think of anyway to do that.
I may try a heat gun on a beat up old shell some day to see what happens.

Check with a furniture or instrument restoration shop first.

Nice looking kit.

yak
1974 Imperialstars Bop kit 24/14/16 (undergoing restoration).
1978 ImperialStar Saturn 12+1 Kit in Midnight blue.(outfit #8993).
1978 ImperialStar Mars 9 kit in Hairline chrome.(outfit #8909),plus 6/8/10/12 concert toms.
1979 SuperStar Super Sunburst kit 22/12/13/14/16 & 6.5" snare
1983 Superstars in Super Mahogany X-tra deep series 22/22/10/11/12/13/14/16/18. 6.5"snare & 8" split lug snare.
1976 Superstars in Custom Black 13/14/16/22X15 (restored)
1982/83 Superstars X-tra deep series in Cherrywine 22/12/13 (restored)
A plethora of snares, 1974-2013. vintage & custom.
Paiste Innovations series cymbals. Tama stands and pedals.
Tama life is on hold. Majorly bummed. Selling and hating it.
fl.tom
#4 Posted : 9/19/2015 5:20:05 PM

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 26 post(s)
brhythm;272834 wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply! Looks like a poly lacquer is pretty easily removed with a heat gun. Certainly looks like a do-able option for me.

Hey, no problem. Without sounding like there's any doubt to your expertise, it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion on less aggressive options before resorting to recoat.

And thanks for sharing the pics. It's definitely a beautiful kit and bet it sounds as good as it looks.
ohlarikd
#8 Posted : 9/19/2015 7:44:40 PM

Was thanked: 631 time(s) in 452 post(s)
I have heard the heat gun works on restoring cloudy lacquer. Softens the lacquer and allows moisture to evaporate (which I believe is the cloudiness). Never tried it, so up to you! It would be ideal to try it on an old beat up drum first.
2015 Starclassic Bubinga, Made in Japan, LUM Magnetic Orange / Chrome, 24x16/13x9/16x14
Straight T Badge CW Superstars, 6/8/10/12/12/13/15/18/24x16/24x16
2014 Silverstar Maple (Dale's Drum Shop Exclusive), Super Honey Burst, 10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18 with matching 14x6 snare
2011-2012(?) Silverstar Birch Transparent Blue Burst, 10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18 with matching 14x5 snare
Snares: Starclassic Select Walnut 14x5.5, 40th Anniversary CW 14x6.5, Silverstar Mirage 14x6, Metalworks Satin Bronze 14x6, Superstar Classic Cherry Wine 14x6.5
4 Starclassic Lug High Pitch Octobans with Stilt stand
Need 80-83 Straight T Badge Superstar, stained bearing edge, Cherry Wine: 12x8
Want: Superstar Hyperdrive Maples
Want: 2012 Starclassic Select Walnut kit
Want: Silverstars Transparent Black VL84RBD2
inkeye
#9 Posted : 9/19/2015 8:30:14 PM
inkeye

Man
Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 34 post(s)
As a person who has refinished a couple of guitars, be careful with the heat gun. With poly it will bubble it up and make it brittle, which is great for removing everything. If trying to get rid of the haze then I would follow advice from those that have used this method successfully.
Kit:
1984 Superstar - Super Maple - 22/18/16/14 Xtra/12 Xtra

Snares:
1980s Tama Superstar - Super Maple 14x8
Mid 80s -Pearl Export Series (aluminum) - 14x6.5
Matte Tamo Ash 10x5.5

Cymbals:
15" Dream Bliss
18" Zildjian A Medium Thin Crash (90s)
20" Zildjian A Medium Thin Crash
20" Paiste 602 Medium Ride
22" Zildjian A Medium Ride (60s)

Hardware:
Roadpro Stands
HH905N Hi-Hat
Iron Cobra Single Kick Pedal (2nd Gen.)
Dunnett/Gibraltar Floor Tom Conversion Kit
Dardrum
#10 Posted : 9/19/2015 10:04:32 PM
Dardrum

Was thanked: 532 time(s) in 424 post(s)
Last year on ebay a seller had a 12" Omni-tune rac tom for sale with the same problem on the same finish. I did not give it to much notice, but now I am wondering if a batch of drums were finished with some bad lacquer,or at the same time due to a wierd reason,,,stuff happens sometimes. Drunk spray painter,,,bad material,,,to much moisture in the air not detected,,,any number of weird reasons. That is all.
Looking for a 20" starclassic maple bass drum 14 to 16" deep, any color mij decal badge,,,thanks
Dardrum
#11 Posted : 9/20/2015 3:59:47 AM
Dardrum

Now check out the item discription in this ebay auction,,,same thing going on

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...753?hash=item1c594fd671

glad I went piano white lol
Looking for a 20" starclassic maple bass drum 14 to 16" deep, any color mij decal badge,,,thanks
brhythm
#12 Posted : 9/20/2015 9:18:02 PM

Thanks for more advice. The drum was stored in my basement, which is finished. It does get damp, and I run a dehumidifier during the summer. You can see the basement in the pic of my kit. You can see the racks on which my snares sit. While dampness may be the issue with the finish, please look at the hardware in the pics. No issue there. My Starclassic kit sits there in the same environment, and it has no finish issues, nor do any of the other 20+ snares or 10 or so kits down there. Is bubinga special in its care? Is it not as "tough" as finishes on other Tama drums?

Should I try to refinish, I'd be taking the entire finish off, not trying to "reset" the finish that's already there.

Removing poly finish from a guitar

I think at that point I'd probably opt for a satin finish of some nature.

With that said, I did notice when taking the pictures that the finish didn't look as bad to me as it did the night before. It may have been the lighting in the restaurant just accentuated the issue. I think at this point I'll probably just leave it be. Who knows, maybe I'll sell it... ;-)
1 user thanked brhythm for this useful post.
CB_Photo on 9/20/2015(UTC)
CB_Photo
#13 Posted : 9/20/2015 9:30:03 PM
CB_Photo

Thanks for clarifying. Just want to eliminate variables.

Fogging of a lacquer finish _usually_ indicates humid or wet environs during application of the finish, or, more likely, water in the air line of the sprayer. Needs a complete rub-out to eliminate it. Based on your pics, I wouldn't bother with it, though.

Rosewood
#14 Posted : 10/5/2015 1:09:59 AM

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well known Tama finishing defect..
Dardrum
#16 Posted : 10/5/2015 3:20:14 AM
Dardrum

Rosewood;273120 wrote:
On the Omni-tunes only????? or are their others?
CB_Photo
#15 Posted : 10/5/2015 3:28:25 AM
CB_Photo

Rosewood;273120 wrote:

Proof, please.
Rosewood
#17 Posted : 10/5/2015 7:11:32 AM

It's well documented..but as far as I know..only on the natural finish Omnitune Bubingas...just Google it..
Basically... Tama screwed up the finish like was said earlier...on a bunch of drums..temperature and humidity problems..in manufacture..
These cloudy drums were sold at a pittance on Ebay as B stock..by some Tama dealers..and a couple of years ago..they were all over the place there..
But some people..were stuck with them...hahaha!..after they bought em brand new..and then...presto change..like the guy above with the rainy day SD...that wasnt used much ..suddenly..wonders..whats up with this..my set looks like mud..hahaha!
So.. the proof as they say..is in the pudding man...just looky see...and yuppy do...my expensive Omni Tune..just changed color on me..hahaha!
TamaDudeNJ
#20 Posted : 10/5/2015 10:54:21 AM
TamaDudeNJ

Man
Was thanked: 1292 time(s) in 889 post(s)
What's with all the hahaha's? I don't find that situation funny at all.
John W. ("J-Dub")
My Band:
www.facebook.com/sundaybrave
www.sundaybravenj.com

www.youtube.com/user/durangodude01nj

7pc Tama SCM - Platinum Fade ( http://youtu.be/ACREas8q2hE )
6pc Tama SCM - Maple Reserve Medit. Sea Blue w/abalone inlay
5pc Tama SCM - Natural Pacific Walnut Burst
5pc Tama Star Walnut - Red Burgundy
5pc Tama B/B - Gun Metal Stripe
5pc Tama B/B - White Silk ( http://youtu.be/uBYUs0ICvNY )
4pc Tama B/B - Vintage Blue Sparkle
6pc Tama SCP Birch - real Cherry veneer ( http://youtu.be/onQfQ48uzGE )
5pc Tama BB/SCP Birch hybrid - Bad-Ass Oyster ( http://youtu.be/uL_VW5vAyS0 )

dsop
#18 Posted : 10/5/2015 3:16:54 PM

Man
Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 157 post(s)
Rosewood;273125 wrote:
So.. the proof as they say..is in the pudding man...

Actually, that's not what they say. The saying is "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."
Rosewood
#21 Posted : 10/5/2015 4:23:23 PM

Wow...so many humor deficient personages on this forum..so picky...so anal...too bads Mon'...hahaha!
And just so you know..I bought 7 of these exact same wonder drums..and have a very..healthy investment in the Natural Wood Bubinga Omnis...lots of my hard earned cash invested there..
And...every day I go into the drum room..I wonder..are these gonna change on me today Mon'...hahaha!
I find that extremely humorous...extremely..hahaha!
..Tama sells em to you..for top $$$...or one of their dealers sells em to yas that is Mon'..and then...the jokes on you...a rainy day in OZ for you Mon'..clouds....lots of clouds today...hahaha!
But that said..these are easily the highest quality and best constructed drums I've ever played..period...and I've played a lot of em over many many years..from Sonor..to Gretsch..
But..there is no ignoring the issues here...and if yas reallys wants to knows Mon'..just find an honest Tama dealer Mon'...and ask em.."Whats up with the cloudy finish Mon'..?" and theys will tell yas Mon'..exactly whats I just dids Mon'..hahaha!
But that's the least of yas worries Mons'...on the Omnis...
Yas reallys gots to worries abouts...the touchy fancy lugs Mon'...and hows the hell Mons'..are you gonna fix em Mon'..when theys don't workz too wellz anymore... as they are VERY...problem prone Mon'...
Like I saids Mon'..dez are the nicest drums I've ever played..and some of the greatest sounding too..but dey are like de fancy Sports Car Mon'...they are high maintainence Mon'..when something goes wrong on em..you are up the creek w/o a paddle as there are no more spare parts for em anymore Mon'
So if yas likz your Omnis Mon'..takes good care of em..as you don't want something going wrong on the gig..or in the studio..esp with the mounts or lugs...especially..