Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

double bass drums - pitch and tone patching between the two drums
goetzja
#1 Posted : 4/19/2017 12:25:59 PM
goetzja

Groups: Member
Man
A few years ago, I bought a Pearl MCX shell pack - 5pc (single kick). I special ordered a second bass drum. Both bass drums have always sounded different - no matter what I would try (swapping pedals, hoops, etc), one drum would have more mids than the other. I could tune the heads to identical pitches, but the two drums would sing differently... one with more mids, the other with more low oomph.

I'd like to order a Starclassic B/B... and avoid this problem. Can anybody tell me if what I experienced with my Pearls is just par for the course in dealing with organic materials assembled by humans... or not.... and if this is common, would companies like Tama make sure to try to pitch-match the two kicks that they send me? The best-case scenario is all their kicks in a given product line are super consistent, which means I can buy a shell-pack and then special order an additional bass drum. Does anybody have any experience with this?

james
ThugsRook
#2 Posted : 4/19/2017 3:05:37 PM
ThugsRook

Groups: Senior Member
Was thanked: 209 time(s) in 163 post(s)
use a tuner of some kind to get them even.

if they wont stay even no-matter-what make the left kick (for a righty) slightly lower pitched. if they have to be missmatched its easier to play that way.

having the left kick higher pitched really messes me up! Doh
goetzja
#3 Posted : 4/20/2017 2:42:26 AM
goetzja

Man
Matching the pitches is easy. It's the undertones and overtones that are heard in the decay and resonance that is unequal. It's as if one MCX shell is thicker than the other. I fix the issue with a little more aggressive muffling. Luckily, playing faster thrash metal, the muffling is a necessity anyway.
dsop
#4 Posted : 4/20/2017 9:30:50 PM

Man
Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 157 post(s)
Originally Posted by: goetzja Go to Quoted Post
Can anybody tell me if what I experienced with my Pearls is just par for the course in dealing with organic materials assembled by humans... or not....

Totally normal. I have had many double bass sets (Pearl, Slingerland, Gretsch, Yamaha) and the only set where both bass drums sounded really similar was the Slingerlands.
#5 Posted : 4/21/2017 6:59:31 AM

Groups:
Message was deleted by a Moderator.