Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Quick-lock tom bracket
Bizkit
#1 Posted : 6/20/2017 1:32:19 AM

Groups: Member
Man
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I was fortunate enough to finally get to see a new starclassic b/b kit at Forks drum closet in Nashville the other day. They sounded even better than I could have imagined and they were even more visually stimulating than any pictures that I have seen. My issue was with the Quick-lock mounting system on the toms and floor tom legs. After the kit was set up, the toms moved 2" from side to side. Anyone here have this type of set-up? What's your opinion on this Quick-lock hardware. Seems to me that you would have issues with the drums banging into each other on an unstable stage, such as a trailer. I would also think that the rubber in this setup would eventually dry out and fall apart. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Bish
#2 Posted : 6/20/2017 3:00:08 PM
Bish

Man
Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 88 post(s)
I have 3 Starclassic B/B kits. I've gigged two of the 3 kits.

I love the mounting system. True, it's not rigid like some mounting systems but the travel motion you speak of is amplified if you are grabbing the shell/rim and moving it side to side. In normal conditions (live, like I play) they don't have near the movement you are seeing.

I think it's design is as close to free floating as you can have without it suspended in thin air.

That's just my opinion of course but it comes from several years of real life experience.
Bish

3 users thanked Bish for this useful post.
yogi98 on 6/20/2017(UTC), Dan@Tama on 6/20/2017(UTC), Bizkit on 6/21/2017(UTC)
Bizkit
#3 Posted : 6/21/2017 2:19:03 PM

Man
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank you for the input. I was curious of the movement with the shells when being played. Now that you say that about the free floating thing, I can see how that is true.

Thanks again!!
1 user thanked Bizkit for this useful post.
Bish on 6/21/2017(UTC)
Bish
#4 Posted : 6/21/2017 8:57:31 PM
Bish

Man
Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 88 post(s)
You are welcome.

I have a video from a few months ago when I was learning new songs. No judging!!!

If you watch the floor tom and the mounted tom, there is very little movement even when struck.

I'm running the 22" bass drum and my other two kits have a 22" and a 20" bass drum and they all pretty much react the same. As you can see the drums barely move at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wA19V41b2A
Bish

dsop
#5 Posted : 6/24/2017 4:32:25 PM

Man
Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 157 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bizkit Go to Quoted Post
I would also think that the rubber in this setup would eventually dry out and fall apart.

Correct. That's another reason I think Sonor's stuff won't last. The degradation of the rubber will most likely take many, many years, depending on the environment the drums are exposed to. The problem is that parts probably will be hard to come by when that happens (and it will).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_degradation
Geri48
#6 Posted : 6/25/2017 6:29:14 AM
Geri48

Was thanked: 339 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dsop Go to Quoted Post
The problem is that parts probably will be hard to come by when that happens (and it will).

Nah, not in Sonor's case. They're German. They are gonna keep the parts for most of their products even after the nuclear winter. Happy Ok, they will charge a fortune, but don't matter.
It's like a sauna in here.

My Tama gear:
Tama Stewart Copeland signature - SC145 chrome over brass snare drum.
Roadpro hardware, Iron Cobra hi hat stand, Multi Clamps, etc.
Tama 1st throne